• The Manitou Messenger celebrates over 125 years of student journalism January 23, 2013

• Printed weekly and updated online daily January 23, 2013

• Questions? Comments? Email mess-online@stolaf.edu January 23, 2013

Gustavus defeats men’s basketball at home

Alana Patrick, Sports Editor
December 6, 2012 • 764 views

The men’s basketball team fell to Gustavus Adolphus College 79-83 on Dec. 3 at Skoglund Center. In the final minute of the game, the Gusties netted all eight of the free throws they were afforded, soldifying a lead – and ultimately the win – in what had been a close game throughout the night.

In the first half, play went back and forth, with the biggest lead being the 30-25 Ole advantage with just over six minutes remaining. The Oles ended the half ahead, though by a smaller margin: When the buzzer announced halftime, the Oles led 40-38.

Dominating the beginning of the second half, the Oles took a 46-40 lead, the largest of the game. Connor Gunderson ’14 and Charlie Aslesen ’14 each sank three-point shots within the first two minutes of play to help create the advantage.

Nearly three minutes later, Gustie Jordan Dick added a three-pointer to tie the score 50-50. Though the Oles regained the lead with 6:31 to play, the Gusties netted 11 points from free throws during the final 2:14 of the game, ultimately overtaking the Oles for the win.

With the loss, the Oles’ record stands at 3-3, 2-1 in the MIAC. Next up, St. Olaf travels to UW-Eau Claire on Dec. 28.

patrick@stolaf.edu

Comments

Something to say? Write it here!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*