• The Manitou Messenger celebrates over 125 years of student journalism January 23, 2013

• Printed weekly and updated online daily January 23, 2013

• Questions? Comments? Email mess-online@stolaf.edu January 23, 2013

Casual misogyny? It’s still misogyny

Abby Grosse, Contributing Writer
April 25, 2014
Filed under Opinions

It seems like just yesterday. It was 2011, and lady-rapper Kreayshawn’s “Gucci Gucci” was on rotation in my freshman dorm. The viral hit (which would be brilliantly spoofed by Lil Wayne in due time) carried the attitude that I wanted to embody: Gucci Gucci, Fendi Fendi, Louis Louis, Prada /... Read More »

Brands’ body image campaigns mask injustice

Abby Grosse, Contributing Writer
March 21, 2014
Filed under Opinions

It’s taken decades of outraged, desperate pleas from countless people alienated by the fashion industry, but mainstream brands are finally starting to feature some progressive (read: normal) imagery. This year, American Eagle’s lingerie brand, Aerie, made the bold move to showcase un-Photoshopped... Read More »

Duke U porn star glosses over industry’s darker side

Abby Grosse, Opinions Editor
March 19, 2014
Filed under Opinions

Belle Knox’s life looked very different just a few weeks ago. She was a Duke University freshman trying to succeed in school, get enough sleep and adapt to her new home. Like a lot of other college kids, she was earning some money on the side to ease the burden of inflated tuition. Sure, the fact that... Read More »

New social media site encourages superficial interaction

Abby Grosse, Contributing Writer
February 21, 2014
Filed under Opinions

When St. Olaf Flirts went viral on Facebook last year, I couldn’t help but wonder where we could possibly go from there. Flirts capitalized on online anonymity and the near-suffocating closeness of a small college. In that sense, Flirts was inevitable. I doubted we could create a space that was more... Read More »

Choosing feminism is about choosing equality for everyone

Abby Grosse, Contributing Writer
November 22, 2013
Filed under Opinions

It has become a bit predictable: “I’m not a feminist, but I (insert statement about men and women being equal).” Katy Perry and Taylor Swift have done it in the past year. On a more local level, St. Olaf students are lukewarm on the label, often sinking in their seats when a professor asks, “Who... Read More »

News on tragedies should inform, not entertain

Abby Grosse , Arts & Entertainment Editor
May 5, 2013
Filed under Opinions

I’m not denying that the events were tragic. Tragic beyond comprehension. But I don’t want to talk about the twisted narrative of the Boston bombings – I want to talk about what was done with it. The Boston attacks were a tragedy fully covered by the media. Witnesses documented the events on... Read More »

Free access to online classes will challenge, improve education

Abby Grosse, Arts and Entertainment Editor
December 1, 2012
Filed under Opinions

It’s unnerving, to say the least: Higher education is more expensive than it’s ever been while its value has never been more questioned. The “consumers” of education want to see a direct relationship between tuition dollars spent now and professional income a few years out,... Read More »

Bob Woodward shares tales

Bob Woodward shares tales

November 1, 2012
Filed under News, Showcase

Watergate journalist inspires voters St. Olaf is a hub for accomplished and influential people, but it is a rare occasion when a true American legend roams its halls. On Wednesday, Oct. 24, Bob Woodward – the man who exposed Watergate and contributed to Pulitzer-winning 9/11 coverage –... Read More »

Guest artists bridge the Hill and Northfield

October 25, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

At secluded liberal arts colleges like St. Olaf, it’s not uncommon for students to wonder how their education intersects with the “real world.” This week, fine arts students are exploring that question with a dance company-in-residence that avoids abstraction and grounds its work in social issues. The... Read More »