• The Manitou Messenger celebrates over 125 years of student journalism January 23, 2013

• Printed weekly and updated online daily January 23, 2013

• Questions? Comments? Email mess-online@stolaf.edu January 23, 2013

Camino de Santiago Inspires Self-Discovery: Pilgrimage focuses on journey not goal

Andrew Wilder, Photo Editor
May 15, 2014
Filed under News

What is the purpose of pilgrimage? What does going on a pilgrimage tell us about our own lives? And what might the experience of pilgrimage tell us about Jesus and the Gospel of John? These are the questions Marty Stortz, Christenson Chair of Religion and Vocation at Augsburg College, addressed in... Read More »

Musicians find new groups post-graduation

Andrew Wilder, Arts & Entertainment Editor
March 16, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

With the release of Merino Wool’s album “All I Need” last weekend, we are reminded that St. Olaf has a thriving community of campus bands. These groups come and go as new musicians filter in with the first-year class and out with the graduating seniors. This high turnover makes for a healthy... Read More »

Dancers in residence expose students to new experiences

Andrew WIlder, Arts & Entertainment Editor
March 4, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Alexandra Beller and Toni Melaas ’00 of the Alexandra Beller/Dances Company of New York are currently in a guest residency with St. Olaf’s Dance Department, teaching classes and choreographing a piece that students will perform in the Companydance Spring Concert in May. The residency, which began... Read More »

‘River Doctors’ links art and conservation

Andrew Wilder, A & E Editor
February 22, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

On Friday, Feb. 21, internationally-recognized conservation photographer Chris Linder will visit St. Olaf for the opening of an exhibition of his photography called “River Doctors: Taking the Pulse of the World’s Largest Rivers” in the Flaten Art Museum. Linder will give an artist’s talk in Dittmann... Read More »

KSTO brings “orchestral rock” band Miracles of Modern Science to the Pause

December 8, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Showcase

On Nov. 20, self-described “orchestral rock” band Miracles of Modern Science performed in the Lion’s Pause at the first-ever KSTO-sponsored concert. Calling themselves a “string-section in mutiny,” the band incorporates elements of rock and pop played with a “decidedly pre-rock” instrumentation:... Read More »

International Food Night rounds out week of education

Andrew Wilder, A&E Editor
November 10, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

The Multicultural Affairs office (MCA), International Student Organization (ISO) and Diversity Celebrations Committee (DCC) sponsored International Awareness Week from Nov. 4-8. The week’s events, which included panel discussions and a display between Boe Chapel and Buntrock Commons, ends Friday with... Read More »

“Ole Home and Garden Club” connects art and domestic life

November 4, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

This semester’s Topics Seminar in Studio Art class is in the midst of presenting the Ole Home and Garden Club, a series of four free events that teach participants practical life skills ranging from changing a tire to repairing worn-out clothes. The first two events, titled “Change Your Tire.... Read More »

Regimental Brass re-enacts Civil War music

Andrew Wilder, A&E Editor
October 18, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Students and faculty gathered in Crossroads on Tuesday afternoon, where St. Olaf’s own Manitou Regimental Brass Band performed songs from the Civil War era under the direction of Associate Professor of Music Paul Niemisto. The band, dressed in Northern uniforms and bearing Civil War-era American... Read More »

Homecoming weekend celebrates life on the Hill

Andrew Wilder, Arts and Entertainment Editor
October 4, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Homecoming and Family Weekend at St. Olaf is a traditional celebration of our elders, whether returning alumni, the parents of current students. As the first major event of the year, the weekend is filled with a diverse array of events for current students too, some of which, like the Homecoming Dodgeball... Read More »

Beat campus boredom by staying on top of must-attend events

Andrew Wilder, A&E Editor
September 9, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Drill this into your brains, first years: there will always, always be something to do on this campus. On any given day, you will be able to find something fun and exciting happening somewhere, from major events like Christmas Festival and the President’s Ball to informal Open Mic Nights in the Pause... Read More »