• The Manitou Messenger celebrates over 125 years of student journalism January 23, 2013

• Printed weekly and updated online daily January 23, 2013

• Questions? Comments? Email mess-online@stolaf.edu January 23, 2013

NFL takes a stand against the n-word

NFL takes a stand against the n-word

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
March 16, 2014
Filed under Sports

Another week, another controversy in the NFL. A new rule has been proposed under which players will be penalized 15 yards for using the n-word. Considering that the issue is so racially charged, it comes as no surprise that there are strong and passionate opinions on both sides of the argument. When... Read More »

Men’s tennis falls to Tommies

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
March 15, 2014
Filed under Sports

The St. Olaf men’s tennis team suffered a heartbreaking loss on March 8, falling 4-5 to University of St. Thomas. St. Olaf fell at the first and second doubles positions but claimed a vital victory at third doubles, with Ben Carlson ’16 and Nico Gibb ’15 battling to a 9-7 win. Needing to... Read More »

Track and field races to season end: Oles claim titles and records at MIAC Championships

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
March 14, 2014
Filed under Sports

The St. Olaf men’s and women’s track and field teams performed strongly at the MIAC Indoor Championships on March 7-8 at St. John’s University. The men’s team finished the event in second place, with the women’s team finishing just a little further down the ladder at fourth place. The men’s... Read More »

Men’s basketball conquers at MIAC: Oles too strong for Tommies in finals showdown

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
March 7, 2014
Filed under Showcase

The St. Olaf men’s basketball team headed into the MIAC Men’s Basketball Playoff Championship game on March 2 after having already recorded an incredible season. After winning 17 games in the regular season, the team held the record for the most MIAC wins in program history. Not content to settle... Read More »

Women’s tennis team remains undefeated

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
March 6, 2014
Filed under Sports

The St. Olaf women’s tennis team defeated Luther College 6-3 at the Owatonna Tennis Center on March 1. The win keeps alive the team’s undefeated 2014 campaign. The Oles fell behind early, trailing 1-2 after the doubles rounds. The lone victory came from Lisa Hall ’16 and Maya MacGibbon ’16... Read More »

Spring 2014: making up for lost time

Spring 2014: making up for lost time

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
March 2, 2014
Filed under Sports

Despite all evidence to the contrary (like looking outside your window), the time has arrived for our spring athletes to begin their 2014 seasons and finally put their long winter practices to good use. 2013 was a horror year for spring athletes, with Minnesota’s prolonged winter shortening seasons... Read More »

St. Olaf plays host to Tostrud Open: Ole runners clinch several victories in home meet

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
February 27, 2014
Filed under Sports

The St. Olaf men’s track and field team hosted the Tostrud Open on Feb. 22 at Tostrud Center. The team competed strongly against MIAC rivals such as St. Thomas University and Carleton College, as well as against numerous non-conference competitors. Aaron Stets ’16 won the 60-meter dash in a time... Read More »

Women’s hockey splits MIAC series

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
February 22, 2014
Filed under Sports

The St. Olaf women’s hockey team took on College of St. Catherine on Feb. 14 and 15 in a pair of MIAC clashes that the Oles desperately needed to win in order to stay in contention for the MIAC playoffs. The Oles travelled to St. Paul, Minn. for the first of the back-to-back contests. The Wildcats... Read More »

Preview: Must-watch winter sports

Preview: Must-watch winter sports

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
November 16, 2013
Filed under Sports

The leaves are gone from the trees, nobody’s stopping to talk between classes anymore and it seems like the winter coats outside Stav Hall outnumber the students inside the cafeteria. These signs all point to one thing: winter. And as such, it’s time for St. Olaf athletes who compete in winter sports... Read More »

Hockey falls twice in out-of-state games

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
November 14, 2013
Filed under Sports

The St. Olaf men’s hockey team traveled across the state border for a pair of games over the weekend. The Oles were looking for their first win of the season, but unfortunately returned home after suffering two losses. On Friday, Nov. 8, St. Olaf played away against University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire... Read More »

Oles host Northfield Quad Classic: Swim team tallies victories, Brebrick ’16 breaks pool record

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
November 7, 2013
Filed under Sports

In the first 2013 home meet for the St. Olaf men’s and women’s swimming teams, the squad posted several victories, including an annihilation of a 24-year-old pool record. Billy Brebrick ’16 won the 200-meter butterfly event in a time of 1:53.33, almost six seconds faster than the former pool... Read More »

Men’s soccer clinches playoff spot: Mackenzie Lund’s late goal enough to overcome St. Thomas

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
November 2, 2013
Filed under Sports

The St. Olaf men’s soccer team took to Rolf Mellby Field on Oct. 26 looking for a win against the University of St. Thomas to clinch a MIAC playoff berth. The game seemed destined to head into overtime after a string of opportunities passed by the Oles. However, a stunning 88th minute strike by Mackenzie... Read More »

Brain damage in football: a jolting reality

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
October 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

The year 2013 is not yet over, but it has proven to be one of the most controversial periods in the history of a great American pastime: football. According to various studies, it is estimated that 64 percent of Americans watch the NFL. Perhaps unsurprisingly the sheer brutality, recklessness and physical... Read More »

Ole soccer cruises to victory: Women’s team scores comfortable MIAC win at home

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
October 25, 2013
Filed under Sports

After finding their feet in the first half of the Oct. 19 game against College of St. Catherine, the St. Olaf women’s soccer team blitzed their opponents in the second half to earn a 3 – 0 victory. The cold and cloudy home game was slow moving at first. The first–half provided limited opportunities... Read More »

Golf places seventh in MIAC

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
October 17, 2013
Filed under Sports

The men’s and women’s golf teams both finished seventh at the MIAC Championships held Oct. 5-7. The women’s team was looking to defend  MIAC crowns they had claimed in both of the last two seasons. However, it wasn’t to be, as the team finished seventh in the 11-team conference meet. Nadia... Read More »

Oles admit homecoming defeat: St. John’s eliminates hopes for first conference victory

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
October 16, 2013
Filed under Sports

The stage was set for a St. Olaf football victory on Oct. 5 at Manitou Field. Despite suffering back-to-back MIAC losses, the Oles were looking to bounce back with a win in front of a healthy crowd of 4 152 on Homecoming Weekend. Unfortunately for St. Olaf, what started out as a promising day ended... Read More »

Oles unable to spoil Gustavus homecoming

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
October 5, 2013
Filed under Sports

The St. Olaf football team suffered its third consecutive loss on Saturday Sept. 28, with a 19-45 defeat at the hands of Gustavus Adolphus College. The loss snapped a 10-game winning streak over Gustavus that dated back to 2002. Despite leading 13-7 early in the second-quarter, the Oles were unable... Read More »

Morkeberg stars as soccer team starts strongly

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
September 24, 2013
Filed under Sports

NAME: Torbjorn Morkeberg ’15 SPORT: Soccer HOMETOWN:  Lakeville, Minn. HIGH SCHOOL: Lakeville North MAJORS: Biology and Norwegian WHY I CHOSE ST. OLAF:   I came to St. Olaf to study... Read More »

Sports talk: big games, promising teams to watch this fall

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
September 9, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports

Following an outstanding 2012-2013 season for St. Olaf athletes, a few crucial months lie ahead for our fall teams. St. Olaf teams hope to make a huge impact not only within the MIAC but also on a national level. The men’s and women’s cross country teams, both of which are returning several star... Read More »

Cycling team blazes path for club sports

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
May 13, 2013
Filed under Sports

No coach? Limited school support? Competing against schools with a budget four times bigger? None of these factors were able to stop the St. Olaf Cycling team from claiming the Division II North Central Collegiate Cycling Conference at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities event in late April. If... Read More »

Softball team falls in elimination playoff

Stephen Nolan, Sports Editor
May 9, 2013
Filed under Sports

After progressing from their pool at last weekend’s MIAC playoffs, the softball team ended their season after they were eliminated in the final four. St. Olaf (15-17) won twice to claim a spot in the elimination round. In their Pool C match ups, the third-seeded Oles scored a comfortable 10-3 win... Read More »