• The Manitou Messenger celebrates over 125 years of student journalism January 23, 2013

• Printed weekly and updated online daily January 23, 2013

• Questions? Comments? Email mess-online@stolaf.edu January 23, 2013

Handbell choirs ring out the year in concert

Amy Mihelich, Opinions Editor
May 7, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

How do you know if someone is a member of the St. Olaf Choir? They tell you! How do you know if someone is a member of the St. Olaf Handbell Choir? Wait, we have one of those? Indeed, established in 1965, the St. Olaf Handbell Choir is one of the Hill’s hidden gems, and as they exemplified at their... Read More »

5 reasons list-style articles destroy quality journalism

Amy Mihelich, Contributing Writer
April 29, 2014
Filed under Opinions

News reporting has always been about sharing “the facts” with the public.  However, in the past year, many news sources have begun to publish the facts in a controversial way. Buzzfeed.com, one of the most popular websites for articles in list style, attracts … well, everyone. This trend... Read More »

Interfaith Coalition sparks dialogue: Newly-created organization builds religious bridges

Amy Mihelich, Opinions Editor
April 25, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Students crowded into the Black and Gold Ballroom last Wednesday, April 16, to discover more about a new student organization stirring things up on campus. A group of ambitious Oles are working to found St. Olaf’s own branch of the Interfaith Coalition for Peace and Justice, and the event’s large... Read More »

There is no ‘civilized’ torture

Amy Mihelich, Opinions Editor
April 23, 2014
Filed under Opinions

Many of us take for granted that the importance of mental health has become common knowledge. However, a new mental health concern has attracted the attention of critics in the past several weeks. A method of discipline in prisons, called “civilized torture,” is facing media scrutiny for being ethically... Read More »

Facebook monopoly squeezes out online competition

Amy Mihelich, Contributing Writer
March 16, 2014
Filed under Opinions

Mark Zuckerberg recently purchased WhatsApp – a mobile download program that provides users with unlimited texting – for 19 billion dollars. WhatsApp users download the app without charge for one year, and every additional year costs a meager 99 cents. Despite the minimal revenue, Zuckerberg claims... Read More »

Trans rights speaker discusses running for Congress

Amy Mihelich, Opinions Editor
March 10, 2014
Filed under News

Political and human rights enthusiasts gathered in the Black Ballroom on Tuesday, Feb. 25 at 5:30 p.m. for a dinner presentation and discussion co-hosted by the Political Awareness Committee (PAC) and GLOW.  The dinner discussion was titled Trans* Politics, and congressional candidate Paula Overby was... Read More »

For Hill Harmonics, patient practice pays off

Amy Mihelich, Opinions Editor
November 22, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Showcase

The a cappella scene at St. Olaf continues to get a little more crowded each year. This fall the Limestones, Agnes and Krossmen a cappella groups were joined by a new ensemble. Hill Harmonics A Cappella, a recently established mixed-gender ensemble, is walking in the limelight this week after a fabulous... Read More »

Sophomores look inward at Quo Vadis retreat

Amy Mihelich, Opinions Editor
November 18, 2013
Filed under News

On Friday, Nov. 8, 91 sophomores boarded two buses and set out to spend the weekend learning about vocation at YMCA Camp Iduhapi in Loretta, Minn. The Quo Vadis Sophomore Retreat, an annual event hosted by the Piper Center for Vocation and Career, provides an opportunity for St. Olaf students to step... Read More »

Epigenetics specifies stress responses

Amy Mihelich, Opinions Editor
November 12, 2013
Filed under Opinions

By this point in the year, most St. Olaf students have taken a midterm or two.  From the moment the exams reach their fingertips, the test takers reveal their various techniques for handling the stress of the situation. There are students who see a midterm as a celebration of learning and dive into... Read More »

Salman Rushdie lectures at Carleton

Amy Mihelich, Opinions Editor
November 2, 2013
Filed under News

On Friday, Oct. 25, students, faculty and community members flooded through the doors of Carleton College’s Recreation Center to hear the 2013 Lucas Lecture. The large crowd was drawn in to hear firsthand the stories of world-renowned author Salman Rushdie and to celebrate the 25th anniversary of his... Read More »

Orchestra musicians must concede

Orchestra musicians must concede

Amy Mihelich, Contributing Writer
October 29, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Even the cacophony of tuning strings has a magical quality inside the newly renovated walls of Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis. Unfortunately, this year there have been limited opportunities to hear the world-renowned Minnesota Orchestra in action due to their lock-out, which began on Oct. 1, 2012.... Read More »

Clubs offer relief from academic overload

Amy Mihelich, Opinion's Editor
September 11, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

As the new school year begins, countless doors of opportunity swing open. St. Olaf’s many clubs offer a fantastic way to make fast friends and delve into interests and passions. This summary highlights just a few of the options. If you’re dreading the classic freshman fifteen, don’t worry; there... Read More »

Companydance to showcase year’s work

Amy Mihelich, Staff Writer
May 2, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

The energy and excitement of St. Olaf dance students radiated through Dittmann Center as they prepared for their spring concert. Companydance is composed of students who are taking dance classes. Some are dance majors; some are not. Although Companydance practices many genres of dance, the performance... Read More »

Ellingson reconstruction part of ongoing plan

Amy Mihelich
April 23, 2013
Filed under News, Showcase

For the past several weeks, rumors about the construction taking place in Ellingson Hall have spread rapidly. These include claims that the first-year dorm is being transformed into suites or converted into an upperclassman dorm. The reconstruction has already commenced, but there seems to be a bit of... Read More »

Palestinian Awareness Week highlights conflict abroad

Amy Mihelich
March 9, 2013
Filed under News

With countless on-campus groups advocating for a wide range of issues, there are many opportunities for students to speak out about their own concerns in order to educate and inform the St. Olaf community. Oles for Justice in Palestine (OJP)... Read More »

‘Imaginary Invalid’ stuns audience with wit

Amy Mihelich, Contributing Writer
November 15, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Brilliant would be an understatement for St. Olaf’s production of “Imaginary Invalid.” From the stunning set to the colorful costumes to the admirable acting, the cast and crew should be proud of the exquisite performance. “Imaginary Invalid” tells the story of Argan, an elderly and wealthy... Read More »

Red Bull Stratos a leap for athletes, marketing

Amy Mihelich , Contributing Writer
November 1, 2012
Filed under Opinions

On Sunday, Oct. 14, Felix Baumgartner shattered the world record for the highest balloon ride and parachute jump. Plunging 24 miles to the Earth, he completed the longest and fastest free-fall on record. This stunt was sponsored by the company who produces the popular energy drink Red Bull. The company... Read More »

‘Math Across the Cannon’ analyzes statistical relevance in the media

Amy Mihelich , Contributing Writer
October 17, 2012
Filed under News

... Read More »